Policies in Pyrethrum

POLICIES.

From 1938, the pyrethrum Industry was governed by the Pyrethrum Amendment Ordinance of 1938 which created the Pyrethrum Board of Kenya. This was amended in 1964 through the enactment of the Pyrethrum Act  CAP 340 of 1964 which established the  Pyrethrum Board of Kenya and the Pyrethrum Marketing Board (PMB). These were later merged through an amendment in 1977 to form one body, PBK. The function of the PBK was to  regulate the growing and licensing of pyrethrum in the country. The PBK was also the only body mandated to carry out commercial functions in the industry. In 1963, the PBK in a joint venture with Mitchell Cotts and the Commonwealth Development Corporation established the Pyrethrum Processing Company of Kenya (PPCK). PBK later acquired the shares of the other shareholders and became the sole owner of the PPCK. In 1973, PBK opened a liaison office, the Kenya Pyrethrum Information Centre (KPIC), in Salzburg, Austria, as a requirement to sell in the European market.

In 2013, the Pyrethrum Act CAP 340 was repealed by the Crops Act 2013. On the same, day the Pyrethrum Act no. 22 of 2013 which established the Pyrethrum Regulatory Authority (PRA), was also enacted. The Agriculture, Fisheries and Foods Authority (AFFA) Act, 2013 takes over all the former institutions established under the repealed Acts which included the Pyrethrum Board of Kenya.